Thursday, May 8, 2008

Letter to Bud Selig

I am a student/athlete at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida and have played baseball since the age of four. I have followed Major League baseball all my life and admire the strives that you have taken to make the game of baseball better. However, I must say that there are issues regarding not only the integrity of baseball but the National Baseball Hall of Fame as well.
Since the Mitchell Report, a numerous amounts of players have come clean about their use of steroids. This list is including players that have had extraordinary careers and await their chance to have a seat in Cooperstown, New York. May I add that the players included in the report have done no less than the beloved Cincinnati Red, Peter Edward Rose in regards to cheating and/or breaking the rules of baseball. In my opinion, the Hall of Fame should only judge a man solely by his performance on the field, and not by a mans character. Pete Rose is arguably one of the greatest players to ever put on a uniform, yet he doesn’t deserve a plaque. I find it quite comical that the National Baseball Hall of Fame proudly displays his memorabilia but won’t put his name on a ballot.
Another thing that I found ironic was the addition of Rule 5 under the National Baseball Hall of Fame rules of election stating all players would begin being evaluated on “character” as well as “integrity.” This new rule came shortly after the lifetime ban of Pete Rose, which I believe to be a direct bias against him. If character and integrity was so important to game of baseball and the hall of fame, then why are there plaques with the faces of Ty Cobb, Gaylord Perry, and Babe Ruth still in Cooperstown? The players earlier mentioned involved in the Mitchell Report still have the opportunity to have their dreams come true and be enshrined into the Hall of Fame, if voted in by the voters. If this is the case, then Peter Edward Rose should be given the same chance to face the voters and let them decide on his fate.
Pete Rose has done everything you have asked him to do by admitting his gambling to the public as well as apologizing for what he did. Every man deserves a second chance Mr. Commissioner. I want to thank you for your time out of your busy day and look forward to hearing from you as well as watching your continuous improvements in making Major League Baseball that much better.

No comments: