Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Frank Collazo
Timed Writing
Prof. Kat Robinson


Joseph Campbell took many steps in his hero’s journey. One of his steps was being courageous. Throughout his stories he often talked about either accepting or refusing a “call to adventure.” Branching out and being brave enough to try things that I would have never thought to try, is what Campbell is talking about in his stories. With new challenges in life come new chapters in life as well, “It rings up the curtain, always, on a mystery of transfiguration – a rite, or moment, of spiritual passage, which, when complete, amounts to a dying or a birth” (Campbell).
In my opinion, the very courage that Campbell is talking about had a lot to do with my project three assignment. For a long time now I have believed in my heart, that Pete rose deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. However, despite what I think or may believe I would have never sent out letters to major organizations about this matter; which ties in with another one of Campbell’s lessons. He relates his first lesson of the call to adventure to crossing the threshold in the sense of not just being brave or courage’s, but learning to not be afraid of new challenges as well. Reaching out to that unknown world and taking risk for something that may be right to you or out of the ordinary. “The adventure is always and everywhere a passage beyond the veil of the known into the unknown; the powers that watch at the boundary are dangerous; to deal with them is risky; yet for anyone with competence and courage the dander will fade” (Campbell).
After sending these letters pleading the case of Pete Rose’s enshrinement into the Hall of Fame, I know now that I can step up, fight for what is right, and speak out against the norm. The unchartered waters I use to not dare go into, I know now I can go and not fear the dangers as Campbell may say. I enjoyed working on project three and doing something normally outside my boundaries. I have also enjoyed learning about Campbell and how well he can be applied to everyday life.

No comments: